In India, an estimated 62 million people, including 6 million children suffer from fluorosis due to consumption of excess fluoride contaminated water. As per BIS 10500, 2004 and WHO guideline the desirable limit of fluoride in drinking water is 1.0 mg/L, which can be extended to 1.5 mg/L in the absence of alternate source.
automated Fluoride removal process is a water purification system suitable for fluoride affected area with water containing excess fluoride. The defluoridation process is based on the principle of electrolysis, using aluminium plate electrodes placed in the raw water containing excess fluoride. During the electrolysis, anode gets ionized and fluoride is removed by complex formation, adsorption, precipitation,coagulation and settling.
The present invention relates to an automated Fluoride removal unit and more particularly an automated Fluoride removal unit based on the principle of electrolysis by passing Direct Current (DC) obtained from solar photovoltaic system; through aluminium plate electrodes placed in fluoride containing water, formation of complex with fluoride in water followed by adsorption and removal by settling.
The conventional automated Fluoride removal methods are divided into two basic types depending upon the mode of action: based on chemical reaction with fluoride and absorption process and is completely manual.The conventional De-fluoridation process based on absorption process have no provision of LIVE monitoring.The conventional defluoridation processes does not reduce bacterial contamination
The main object of the present invention is to provide fully automated electrolytic defluoridation unit which is easy to operate and can be monitored LIVE and requires less maintenance.Another object of the invention is to provide a technique which is capable of removing fluoride and reducing total dissolved solids, which include hardness, nitrate and microbial contamination from raw water with excess fluoride concentration.Another object of the invention is to provide fluoride safe water, without any chemical addition for removal of fluoride. Another object of the invention is to provide an electrolytic defluoridation process, capable of removing fluoride to safe limit of <1.00 mg/L which is portable and palatable in taste.
• Removal of fluoride by active species of hydroxide of aluminium produced by passing DC power through aluminium electrodes
• Simple to fabricate, easy to operate with minimum maintenance
• Suitable for treatment of raw water with fluoride concentration upto 10 mg/L
• Produces potable water with palatable taste as against the other available chemical treatment methods
• Quantity of sludge produced is much less (60-70%) than conventional treatment methods
• Simultaneous reduction in bacterial contamination in treated water
• Cost of treated water Rs. 45-60 per 1000 liter
• Capacity : 300 Ltr per batch in 30 minutes.